Change Mode:   Dark   Light   Colourful   Pride

St Oswald's Church, Tile Hill

ABOUT ST OSWALD'S

History

In the middle ages, the land which is now Tile Hill, was part of the Parish of Stoneleigh with its center at the famous 12th century Cistercian abbey. After the Dissolution of the Monasteries by Henry VIII, these monastic lands passed into the hands of the King's favoured nobility and by 1846, this part became known as Westwood Parish.

In the mid 20th Century with the population growth of Coventry, it was then decided to create three independent parishes out of the western part of Westwood. These three parishes are known today as Canley, Fletchampstead (an ancient title relating to those monastic lands before 1572) and our own parish of Tile Hill.

The Beginnings of St Oswald's

In the 1950's, the City and Diocese of Coventry, commissioned Sir Basil Spence and Wimpy Building Contractors to provide parish churches for Tile Hill, Willenhall and Wood End based along similar lines to Coventry Cathedral (by then under construction). The Lord Bishop of Coventry, the Rt Revd Cuthbert Bardsley, declared the Patron Saint of Tile Hill to be the Northumbrian King and Martyr, Saint Oswald. Our new church was therefore named after this distinguished 7th century saint.

This Parish Church of Tile Hill was consecrated on June 6th 1957 by Bishop Bardsley in the presence of HRH Princess Margaret. On June the 6th 2017, the Parish celebrated that same consecration and official opening after 60 years of service to the community. We thanked God, not just for this building, but also for Christian presence and the seeds of the Kingdom sowed here in Tile Hill over those years.

St Oswald's Going Forward

St Oswald's is a part of the Church of England and is based in the Diocese of Coventry. We worship in the Anglo-Catholic tradition, which is not to say that services can't be fun. We are a part of The Society and receive pastoral care from the Bishop of Ebbsfleet.

We have got through eight priests since 1957 with the ninth (Fr Ed Backhouse) due to join us in the summer of 2021. We also have strong lay leadership with members of the congregation taking the Morning and Evening Prayer services.

Like many churches we have taken to social media during the various lockdowns and our Sunday service is now live-streamed on our Facebook page.

We are looking forward to the new challenges and opportunities that will come with our new priest, and we will continue to be the Light of Christ shining in Tile Hill.

Church of England
Coventry Diocese
The Society
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram